Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No-Fuss Overnight Sourdough Bread

Only sourdough starter I have is a No Fuss, Overnight one...
I've only made it once and I'm not a sourdough gourmet by any means. I have a mental block about sourdough -- I was raised that you just don't let something sit out and bubble up and ferment then eat it ;o)

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs yeast
2 1/3 cups Flour
Combine in mixer bowl, cover with towel and let sit overnight.

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast
3 Tbs oil
Add into mixer bowl and mix well.

6 cups Flour
1 Tbs salt
Combine and add while mixing, blend until full incorporated. Increase to medium speed and mix to build up gluten (about 7-8 mins). Dough should pull away from hook halfway through mixing/kneading -- if not, add more flour, 1 Tbs at a time.
Cover dough and let rise 1-2 hours. Divide into 3 balls, cover and let rest 20 minutes. Shape and let rise, bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes (adjust time for rolls).

Sourdough Rye -- with second addition of flour, decrease regular flour to 3 cups, and add 3 cups rye flour, 1 Tbs caraway seeds. Reduce kneading to 4-5 mins.

1 comment:

As Simply As We Can said...

Thanks for the sourdough recipes! Now off to the kitchen...