Saturday, January 10, 2009

How To Can: Applesauce

more from our other blog...

What do you do with 100 pounds of apples? No, this isn't all of them...it's not even half of them :o) That's my bread bowl and my stainless dishpan heaped over...alot of apples...but there is still a full to the brim bushel box off to the side waiting!

Applesauce, of course!


Then Apple Butter.

Then some fresh apple dumplings for dessert.

And next week, we'll get more apples and start Apple Pie Filling for the pantry shelves as well. We started this because a member at church brought some apples, a 5 gallon bucket of them, from his daughter's tree. They were delicious baking apples and I've so missed being able to go gather apples in the autumn. We cooked them up in 2 large crockpot-fulls and oh boy, did they smell good! Touch of cinnamon tossed in while cooking down...YUM!

Well, that just drove me insane and I wanted more :o) Yesterday we drove down to Pontotoc near the Amish community there and at the farm stand, we bought 2 large bushel boxes of apples to keep that wonderful smell in the house a bit longer. They were only $20 a box...might be pricey for some areas, but for what I'm used to paying back north (when we moved, they were pushing near $30 or even more with some varieties, per bushel!) I don't think we did bad at all. We bought some Rome and some Granny Smith.

Anyone have a good, tried and true apple butter recipe? I have tons of them in my varied cookbooks, and for the most part they are similiar, with some calling for simple ingredients, some calling for some Karo syrup, etc.

I've never made apple butter. Well, let me rephrase....I've never made any I thought turned out well. It ends up more like really thick applesauce. Shouldn't it be somewhat more than just thick applesauce? Shouldn't it be a bit more spreadable somehow? This stuff isn't bad, mind you...just not exactly a good go-together with biscuits and scones. I guess I'm wanting something with a bit more consistency to it.

1 comment:

Zucchinimom said...

Cook down your apples in a crockpot and let them cook and cook and cook. We're talking 24 hours at least. The apple butter should be very dark and very thick! I use an Amish recipe (if you have one) and it comes out wonderful! When you open it, it smells like Christmas!!! It should be really thick...that is totally dependent on how long you cook it for!