Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Homemade Garlic Powder

This is really a very simple task.

You can use either your own garlic (best taste) or garlic from the store. In my most recent case, I bought a 3lb bag of garlic from Sam’s Club that I hadn’t used yet and wanted to use the remainder before it went bad).

The kids and I peeled garlic cloves and put them in a bowl. I ran them through my food processor to slice them (or you can do this by hand… But trust me slicing them in the food processor is loads faster).

Then I lay them on a single layer in the dehydrator. Run the dehydrator until the slices are dry and brittle. In my case this took overnight, but I hear in better made dehydrators it goes much quicker :-)

Run the dry slices through the food processor until ground into a fine powder. Then pour into your container of choice - in my case it was the garlic powder container that had just gone empty.

Beware: homemade garlic powder is very potent. You’ll likely use less than what is called for in recipes :-)


a great recipe I'll definitely be using courtesy of Scratch Cooking

No comments: