5# hamburger, venison or your favorite ground meat
3 onions, chopped
2 Tbs salt
1 Tbs pepper
2 qt spaghetti sauce
2 qt water
2 c catsup
2 qt chili beans
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
Brown meat and onions and add seasons. Once cooked, drain but do not rinse, add remaining ingredients and cook well. Cold Pack 2 hours.
This recipe, as is, makes approx. 2 gallons of chili soup. It's from an Amish friend back north.
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
I don't know if you know this or not, but I figured I'd ask. A little while back our family visited a local Amish community and we bought some home-made jam. They didn't seem to be made from the Ball jars at the store. Some of them were made with a lid that was one piece and others were made with the 2 piece rings and lids like typical canning jars. The jams sold for $2.75 a piece. With the price of jars these days and their time and ingredients required to make them, I figured they couldn't be making much of a profit unless they got really cheap jars. One lady had a whole room full of cases of jars of jellies she had canned. They didn't look the like cases of jars I see sold in the stores. I've looked all over online and can't seem to find jars like they use. They seem to all know where to get them though. Do you know anywhere to get cheap jars (that won't break during canning) to make jams and jellies or other things to sell? For my own home use that I will reuse over and over, I'll stick with the Ball jars, but I would like to sell homemade items but can't justify doing it with the cost of jars. Have any ideas? Thanks!
Melissa : )
Post a Comment