One Hour Bread
yields 3 loaves...or a variety of pan rolls, cinnamon rolls, mini loaves, hamburger buns, etc.
3 cups warm water
4 Tbs yeast
1/4 cup honey
Let this sit for a few moments, then add in:
1/2 cup very soft butter, or melt it
2 eggs
1 cup dry milk powder (we use buttermilk powder here)
8 cups flour (go ahead and play with this...half white/half wheat, all wheat, etc.)
All of this works well in my large Kitchen Aid mixer. I just turn it on and let it go until it all looks like bread dough :o) Then I pull it off the hook and plop it on the counter and let it rest for a few minutes. I usually grab the butter and coat the bread pans at this point so they're ready.
Knead and coax into 3 portions, then have at it. I plop and roll and press and knead and punch and what-have-you to remove the bubbles in the dough. Shape and lay in pans of choice. Let rise just to pan edge and place in ready oven at 350 for about 30-35 minutes. Check the bread when you think it's done by turning out of pan and tapping the bottom of the loaf. It will sound hollow and not thick. I cool mine on my cookie racks, lying on their sides. I also butter their tops :o)
This makes 3 regular loaves, or 9-12 mini loaves...or 1 loaf and 2 9x13 pans of rolls...or a bunch of hamburger or hot dog buns...or cinnamon-raisin bread...yum!
Oh -- no photo's of the finished bread yet -- they demolished a loaf and half already to day, and then wrapped the rest and put it in the pantry before I got any pictures!
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
This is the BEST bread recipe that I have tried so far!!! It's so simple and quick and absolutely delicious (addictive!). I was just taking the loaves out of the oven tonight as my hubby came in the door for dinner. So, although it should have cooled longer, we couldn't resist trying it. It's a hit in this house!
I followed the recipe exactly, except for substituting 2 cups of whole wheat for white flour (6 cups white, 2 cups whole wheat). My husband's only suggestion for next time is to add some sunflower seeds, which he likes to have in his bread. I made 2 regular loaves and a cinnamon raisin loaf. Next time, I'll try some rolls and cinnamon BUNS. I make bread by hand, and I could tell from the feel of the dough that this was going to be great. I'm so happy to have found this recipe.
(I added your recipe site to my Resources links on my sidebar, under Recipes.)
Post a Comment