Friday, June 19, 2009

Homemade Gatorade-style drink mixes

I posted this waaay back in like 2006 on my other blog. Thought I'd share it here...it's been awfully hot and humid already down here. We need something besides plain ol' water to keep ourselves hydrated!

Our Other Blog... I suppose someone might find tidbits of stuff there worth reading. There is a lot of it....stuff, that is. You can do a search of the entire blog using the Google bar at the bottom of the pages, or you can just hit the Entries button on the upper left sidebar and start browsing from there. I didn't really keep things 'organized' properly with categories to make it simple :o( But, there are entries all the way back to 2005...covering every manner of thing we do here, want to do here, have ever thought of doing here, on the homestead.

These recipes came through a self-reliant list and I thought, with summer being what it is and everyone trying to find ways to cut costs on utilities and such, a good homemade drink mix might come in handy. Enjoy!

Homemade Gatorade Recipe
A quick, inexpensive, tasty way to stay hydrated. Use any juice, add /
subtract sugar depending on your taste. Shake well prior to drinking. I
reuse the cleaned gatorade bottles to easily carry this with me. I also
combine different juices ( strawberry / pineapple, orange / cherry etc )
2 cups water
2 cups juice, your choice
2 teaspoons sugar, depending on sweetness of juice (optional)
1/4 teaspoon citric acid ( food grade, sold in most drug stores)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 servings 32 Ounces
5 minutes 5 mins prep

This is a recipe that should work for you. One of the most important
ingredients is the salt substitute. It contains the potassium that's
needed to help balance the electrolytes.
6 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. salt substitute
1 box flavored gelatin (Jell-O)
Mix all ingredients into 1 gallon of water. It helps to dissolve the
Jell-O in a bit of hot water first.

We're in a recreation group and we also need a good, inexpensive way to
stay hydrated while replacing important nutrients and electrolytes. We
use an old Persian recipe called Sekanjabin (seh KAN jah bin) made from
vinegar and fruit or mint leaves. I'm sure it was originally made with
honey, but I haven't tried that yet (and it would increase the cost). The
syrup keeps well, but the mixed version will ferment after a few days.

Sekanjabin
To make with fruit or berries:
3 qts fruit or berries such as raspberries, strawberries, peaches,
nectarines (frozen works, too, and no prepping)
1 qt vinegar
1 qt sugar
Prepare fruit by hulling or pitting and slice into halves or quarters.
Soak 1 quart of fruit in the vinegar for 24 hours. Pour off vinegar into
clean container and save, throw away fruit. Repeat for two more days with
remaining fruit, reusing vinegar. After last quart of fruit, strain
vinegar to remove pulp, seeds, etc. Combine vinegar and sugar in saucepan
and warm, stirring almost constantly, until sugar is dissolved. This
makes about one quart of syrup. Mix ¾ to 1 cup of syrup in one gallon of
water. Note: when making with nectarines or other very sweet fruit, you
may want to reduce the sugar to about ¾ the quantity called for.

To make with mint:
3 qts mint leaves (more or less as taste demands)
1 qt vinegar
1 qt sugar
Wash mint and strip leaves from stems. Bring vinegar to a boil, then
remove from heat and steep leaves for about 5-10 minutes. Strain leaves
from vinegar and add sugar. Stir almost constantly until sugar is
dissolved. This makes about one quart of syrup. Mix ¾ to 1 cup of syrup
in one gallon of water. Enjoy!

One of the easiest recipes I found was at:
http://www.titanic.kn-bremen.de/bev12.html
"Ingredients
* 16-24 oz. water
* 1/4 tsp. Morton Lite (salt & potassium)
* 1 tsp lemon juice
* 1 packet A/S (Sweetener) "
copycatrecipearchive@yahoogroups.com
List of Ingredients
* 475ml Water
* 475ml Juice (your favorite)
* 2tsp Sugar
* 1/4tsp Citric Acid (food additive sold in most drug stores)
* 1/4tsp Sodium Chloride (eg. table salt)
* 1/4tsp Potassium Chloride (salt substitute eg. NU-SALT(r))
Combine and refrigerate

Five-Gallon FakeAde Recipe
*5-10 tablespoons flavored powdered drink mix (5 tbls. for unsweetened mix
like Kool-Ade or 10 tbls. if sugar is added to the mix - 10 tbls. is just
under 2/3 cup)
*5 teaspoons sodium chloride (table salt)
*2 1/2 teaspoons potassium chloride (salt substitute, eg. Morton Salt
Substitute or NuSalt)
*2 1/2 cups table sugar
*2 1/2 cups granular fructose (can substitute 2 1/2 cups table sugar)
*1 1/4 cups lemon juice (can substitute 5 teaspoons citric acid)
*water, to make 5 gallons
*Tang drink mix, to taste
I mix everything except for the Tang together. It usually tastes a bit
flat, so I add Tang until it tastes "good", about a cup or more. It
usually tastes a bit "thick" so I use two five-gallon containers. I make
the mix in only a bit of the water. Then to the first container that
already has five gallons of water, I add the mix until it tastes right.
Then I pour the rest of the drink mixture into the second container and
add water until it tastes right.

NOTES:
Salt. You want both sodium and potassium, so be sure to use both types of
salt.
Fructose. Fructose is sweeter than regular table sugar. If you can't
find it, table sugar would probably be fine because you'll probably end up
using a drink mix with added sugar.
Lemon Juice. I'm not sure where you live. In California there are Smart
'N Finals that sell to food service people and the public. You can get a
gallon (16 cups) of lemon juice there for $5. However, citric acid is
preferable. If you're allowed to use some Kool-Ade and want to make it
easy, the lemonade flavor Kool-Ade is mainly citric acid and since it's
powdered you don't have to worry about refrigerating the lemon juice.

No comments: