Monday, April 20, 2009

Household Tips

Again, wonderful tips from Becky's blog.
We've done many of these, but honestly, I never thought about the sweet basil leaves for the flies! I will definitely be putting out a bag by the milking room in the barn and our front porch now!

I found flannel sheets at thrift store, full sets, king size set $2.00 and queen size set $2.00. I will cut these up to make: washable paper towels, washable tissues, washable napkins, and to make pads. That’s a lot of material for $4.00.

My Notes: We use sale sheets for the same thing here. I've also done this with those inexpensive baby blankets from the Dollar General. They make great burp rags, as well as diaper liners, too!

With the very hot weather here, I have found a way to cool the house off some with out AC,(which we do not have). I have wooden clothes drying racks. Well I put them in front of the fans in house. It has made almost a 15 degrees cooler, and the clothes are softer than hanging out side. I like killing two birds with one fan.

Use cheap wash cloths instead of paper towels. You can find them at the Dollar stores. And you can get the color that goes with your kitchen.

Garden tips: when you sucker your tomato plants, put the suckers on and around your cabbage plants.

* those of you who drink coffee, allow your used grounds to dry out, then spread around garden and or plants(in pots). This feeds your earthworms and brings more around.

* allow used coffee filters to dry out, then place around plants to keep weeds down, and acts like a mulch( helps keep moist in soil)
* allow empty egg shells to dry and crush them up and put them in a ring around the base, on the ground: cabbage and tomato plants.

No comments: